On April 23, 1952, New York Giants relief pitcher Hoyt Wilhelm hits a home run in his first major league at-bat. The future Hall of Famer also earns his first victory in a 9-5 win over the Boston Braves. Wilhelm, a notoriously poor hitter, will never hit another home run in a major league game.
Julio Borbon continues his hot hitting for the Rangers, banging his first career homer in a 3 for 5 night in which he drives in 3. He raises his average to .536 since his recall from AAA Oklahoma City earlier this month. The Rangers easily beat Minnesota, 11 – 1.
August 20, 2009
Ron Guidry‚ with relief help‚ stops the Twins‚ to give New York a 4 – 1 win. Willie Randolph’s two-run double is the key blow.
June 10, 1977
2013 – A washout with the Mets and Rockies, Houston claims pitcher Collin McHugh on waivers. The righthander becomes a key piece of the Houston rotation during their rebuilding phase and championship run. The Astros also deal infielder Ryan Jackson to San Diego for prospect Jesus Guzman who hit .188 with two homers in 85 games for Houston in 2014.
October 15, 2019
1971 – Ferguson Jenkins wins his 20th, beating Houston, 3 – 2. The win pulls the Cubs to 4 1/2 behind Pittsburgh. But following two losses to Houston, Leo Durocher and the players will square off in a clubhouse meeting on the 23rd. Durocher accuses Ron Santo of demanding that the team give him a day, and the third sacker has to be restrained from going after Leo. Leo will finally lip an “I quit,” but stay on through the season in a frosty relationship with the team.
August 20, 1971
SEARCH Games, Players, Dates
Join the community
- The Greatest Game Ever Pitched: Juan Marichal, Warren Spahn, and the Pitching Duel of the Century $14.95
- Pirates By the Numbers: A Complete Team History of the Bucs By Uniform Number $14.99
- The Visit - Every pitcher has lived through this one $21.50 – $29.00
- 56: Joe Dimaggio and the Last Magic Number in Sports $17.47
- 2004 Boston Red Sox World Championship $31.50 – $39.00
- The 50 Greatest Players in Pittsburgh Pirates History $30.00