On September 24, 1992, Dave Winfield of the Toronto Blue Jays becomes the oldest major leaguer to reach the 100-RBI mark in a season. The 40-year-old Winfield hits a home run and a double in an 8-2 win over the Baltimore Orioles, increasing his season total to 103
The Cardinals finally clinch the National League flag with a 5 – 4 win over Boston. Twenty games ahead on September 1st, the Cards then blew 15 of the next 20 games. They will finish with 105 victories and their 3rd title under Billy Southworth, whose clubs have won 316 games in 3 years. Pittsburgh finishes 14 1/2 games behind.
September 21, 1944
Cub outfielder Sammy Sosa joins Mark McGwire (1997-1999) as the only major leaguer to hit 50 home runs three consecutive seasons.
September 16, 2000
Ira Berkow’s front page story about Larry Doby appears in the Sunday New York Times. The article spurs much interest about the first black to play in the American League, and many believe leads to the outfielder’s election to the Hall of Fame the following year.
February 23, 1997
SEARCH Games, Players, Dates
Join the community
- 1960 Pittsburgh Pirates Maz Walkoff Win $31.50 – $39.00
- Boston Strong! 2013 Boston Red Sox World Championship Remembered $29.50 – $38.00
- The Chatty Catcher $21.50 – $29.00
- The Greatest Game Ever Pitched: Juan Marichal, Warren Spahn, and the Pitching Duel of the Century $14.95
- The Hidden Fan $21.50 – $29.00
- This Day In Baseball Mug