On September 25, 1955, Al Kaline of the Detroit Tigers becomes the youngest batting champion in history. The 20-year-old Kaline clinches the title with a .340 mark, the highest average of his 22-year career.
The Lowell Orphans, a bankrupt minor league team moved from Lawrence, MA last month, draws only 85 paying customers to a doubleheader. The team’s poor performance, which includes a twenty-game losing streak, causes the city to evict the New England League franchise from Alumni Field, making it necessary for the club to finish the season on the road.
August 17, 1947
1962 – Manager Harry Craft and General Manager Paul Richards begin the first winter publicity caravan in team history, starting in Victoria. The team has had one every year since then, touring cities throughout Texas and Louisiana. Among the other travelers are infielders Norm Larker, Bob Aspromonte, Don Buddin and Joey Amalfitano and broadcaster Gene Elston. This year’s tour also makes a stop in Monterrey, Mexico.
January 29, 1962
A bad year off the field for the Clemens clan continues. While Roger Clemens has faced claims of adultery and steroid use, son Koby Clemens and teammates Mark Ori and Jimmy Goethals are arrested for their role in a restaurant fight.
September 1, 2008
SEARCH Games, Players, Dates
Join the community
- Candlestick Park 1960 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your San Francisco Giants $18.00
- The Astrodome 1965 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your Houston Astros $18.00
- Sportsman's Park 1931 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of the St. Louis Browns $18.00
- Arlington Stadium 1972 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your Texas Rangers $18.00
- Baseball in Altoona: From the Mountain City to the Curve $12.15
- Municipal Stadium 1955 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of the Kansas City A's $18.00