On August 12, 1889 — 1889 – An 11 – 0 two-hitter by Elton Chamberlain completes a 3-game sweep for St. Louis (AA)‚ boosting the Browns’ lead over the Bridegrooms to 3 1/2 games. Total paid attendance is 32‚911.
About The Author
1923 – Paul Strand, RF for Salt Lake City (Pacific Coast League), makes his 290th hit, a pro baseball record. He will play in 194 games, make 325 hits, including 66 doubles, 13 triples, and 43 home runs, for a .394 BA, with 180 runs and 187 RBI. He also has 612 total chances in the OF. Strand, 30, had come up to the Boston Braves as a pitcher in 1913 and was 6 – 2 for the 1914 pennant winners, mostly in relief. The Athletics will pay a reported $100,000 (which Connie Mack later says was really $40,000) for him, but he will hit just .228.
September 15, 1923
2016 – The Phillies acquire veteran SP Clay Buchholz from the Red Sox in return for 2B prospect Josh Tobias.
December 20, 2016
Indians’ southpaw Billy Traber one-hits the Yankees, retiring 27 of 28 batters, including 21 in a row after allowing John Flaherty to reach first base with a single in the third inning. The 4-0 blanking of the Bronx Bombers is the 23 year-old rookie’s first complete game.
July 8, 2003
A monument in center field at Yankee Stadium is dedicated to Mickey Mantle, who died of liver cancer last year. The commemorative structure, the first to be erected by the team in 47 years, joins three other monuments in the Bronx ballpark that honor the legacies of Miller Huggins, Babe Ruth, and Lou Gehrig.
August 25, 1996
SEARCH Games, Players, Dates
Join the community
- 1960 Pittsburgh Pirates Maz Walkoff Win $31.50 – $39.00
- Robison Field 1893 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your St. Louis Cardinals $18.00
- Fenway Park 1912 Baseball Tee Shirt - Home of Your Boston Red Sox $18.00
- The Hidden Fan $21.50 – $29.00
- Baker Bowl 1887 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your Philadelphia Phillies $18.00
- Arlington Stadium 1972 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your Texas Rangers $18.00