On February 14 1934 — The Cleveland Indians sign former Washington Senators 19-year outfielder Sam Rice to a contract for the upcoming season. He will bat .293 in 335 at-bats for the Indians, but will fall 13 hits shy of the 3,000 mark before retiring. Rice will win election to the Hall of Fame in 1963.
1979 – J.R. Richard tops the 300-strikeout barrier for the second straight year, fanning 13 during a four-hit, 8-0 blanking of Atlanta . He would add eleven more four days later against the Dodgers to close with a team record of 313 for the season.
October 15, 2019
In the first inning of a 7-2 defeat to the A’s, Red Sox starter Curt Schilling whiffs Nick Swisher swinging to record his 3000th career strikeout. The Alaskan-born right-hander becomes the 14th pitcher in major league history to reach the milestone.
August 30, 2006
Breaking his own record set a week later during last season, John Smoltz becomes the fastest pitcher to record 40 saves. The Braves’ closer throws a scoreless ninth in the team’s 7-4 victory over the Astros to establish the new mark.
July 31, 2003
SEARCH Games, Players, Dates
Join the community
- The Pittsburgh Pirates Encyclopedia: Second Edition
- Pittsburgh’s Greatest Teams
- Busch Stadium 1953 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your St. Louis Cardinals $18.00
- County Stadium 1970 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your Milwaukee Brewers & Braves $18.00
- Event Page Sponsorship $10.00
- Griffith Stadium 1911 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of the Washington Senators $18.00