On August 8, 1942 — 1942 – A beanball salvo between Manny Salvo of the Braves and Whit Wyatt of the Dodgers ends in a 2 – 0 Boston victory. Only two batters are hit‚ but many pitches are close and the hurlers almost come to blows twice. Salvo gets fined $50 and Wyatt $75. Wyatt also tosses a bat. For Wyatt (8-1)‚ it is his first loss after 10 straight wins over the Braves.
2004 – Backup catcher Raul Chavez drives in five as Houston outslugs Milwaukee, 11-7. Morgan Ensberg adds four hits. Jeff Kent and Lance Berkman go deep. The Astros are 1-1/2 games behind the Cubs in the hunt for the final playoff berth.
October 15, 2019
In a major league first, the plate umpire and the catcher in a game are brothers. Bill Haller is the ump and Tom Haller is the Detroit Tigers catcher during a game with the Kansas City Royals. Kansas City wins, 1 – 0.
July 14, 1972
1969 – A Federal Court in New York City rules against the suit of umpires Bill Valentine and Al Salerno because baseball is exempt from antitrust laws.
December 11, 1969
SEARCH Games, Players, Dates
Join the community
- "Then Roy Said to Mickey. . .": The Best Yankees Stories Ever Told (Best Sports Stories Ever Told) $14.10
- Tiger Stadium 1918 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your Detroit Tigers $18.00
- This one will have you in stitches $21.50 – $29.00
- 2004 Boston Red Sox World Championship $31.50 – $39.00
- The Pittsburgh Pirates Encyclopedia: Second Edition
- Pirates By the Numbers: A Complete Team History of the Bucs By Uniform Number $14.99