On August 8, 1960 — 1960 – Before a day crowd of 48‚323‚ the largest day crowd ever at Comiskey Park‚ Billy Pierce pitches a four-hit victory over the Yankees‚ 9 – 1. Pierce faces just 31 batters.
1997 – The Chicago Cubs fall to 0-8, the worst start in the club’s 122-year history, following a 1 – 0 loss to the Florida Marlins at frigid Wrigley Field. Florida pitcher Alex Fernandez, making his first appearance in Chicago since he left the White Sox over the winter as a free agent, is two outs away from a no-hitter when pinch-hitter Dave Hansen legs out an infield hit off the pitcher’s glove. Fernandez settles for the one-hitter.
April 10, 1997
In a last try for the pennant, the Yankees obtain 40-year-old vet Frank Tanana from the Mets for minor league P Kenny Greer. Tanana will go 0-2 to finish out his career at 240-236, and set a major-league record for most wins without racking up a 20-win season.
September 17, 1993
Dwight Gooden becomes the second consecutive Met player to be named the National League’s Rookie of Year. The 19 year-old right-hander, who compiled a 17-9 record along with a 1.53 ERA and a league-leading 268 strikeouts, joins his teammate and close friend Darryl Strawberry to be honored the coveted freshman award.
November 18, 1984
The Solingen Alligators beat the Heidenheim Heideköpfe, 2 – 1, on the road, to take the Bundesliga-1 title, 3 games to 1. Harry Glynne is named finals MVP after allowing 2 runs in 16 IP, while Chris Mezger outduels Tyler Lockwood today. Robin Drache’s two-run homer provides all the Solingen offense.
August 24, 2014
SEARCH Games, Players, Dates
Join the community
- The Astrodome 1965 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your Houston Astros $18.00
- Managers do not like relief pitchers who fail $21.50 – $29.00
- Yankee Stadium 1923 Baseball Sweatshirt Crewneck or Hoodie - Home Of Your New York Yankees $30.00
- San Diego Stadium 1969 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your San Diego Padres $18.00
- Oriole Park at Camdon Yards 1992 Baseball Sweatshirt Crewneck or Hoodie - Home Of Your Baltimore Orioles $30.00
- The Pittsburgh Pirates Encyclopedia: Second Edition