On June 20, 1972 – Randy Hundley caps the scoring in the 1st inning with a grand slam as the Cubs score 7, all off Don Carrithers, en route to a 15 – 8 pasting of the Giants. The first three runs come on three walks, two wild pitches and three singles. Hundley singles in another run in the 5-run 4th as the Cubs win their 7th straight.
Bruce Sutter, joining Hoyt Wilhelm (1985), Rollie Fingers (1992), and Dennis Eckersley (2004), becomes the fourth relief pitcher to be voted into the Hall of Fame, and the first hurler elected without a career major league start. The split-fingered fastball, which will eventually lead to career-ending injuries, helped to establish the right-hander as one of the game’s dominant closers.
January 10, 2006
The Indians host their third Mid-Summer Classic in front of a disappointing crowd of 44,160 fans at Cleveland Stadium. The Junior Circuit’s 5-3 loss to the National League does not feature any players from the Tribe.
July 9, 1963
1921 – Judge Kenesaw Mountain Landis takes over his new role as Commissioner of baseball. Landis, who is given wide-ranging powers, replaces the three-man National Commission that had been running the game for nearly two decades.
January 12, 1921
SEARCH Games, Players, Dates
- 56: Joe Dimaggio and the Last Magic Number in Sports $17.47
- 1988 Los Angeles Dodgers World Championship $31.50 – $39.00
- Boston Strong! 2013 Boston Red Sox World Championship Remembered $29.50 – $38.00
- Keepsake Engraved Bats $40.00
- 1960 Pittsburgh Pirates Maz Walkoff Win $31.50 – $39.00
- The Greatest Game Ever Pitched: Juan Marichal, Warren Spahn, and the Pitching Duel of the Century $14.95