On February 16 1980 — 1980 – Milwaukee Brewers coach Harvey Kuenn has his right leg amputated below the knee after four operations to remove a blood clot.
Before a packed house of 23‚000‚ John McGraw uses his entire pitching staff of six against the Cubs‚ but Chicago still wins‚ 5 – 2, to move into first place over New York. Hooks Wiltse lasts just one inning‚ giving up two Chicago runs. Jimmy Sheckard’s three-run homer in the 5th off Christy Mathewson‚ pitching on a day’s rest‚ seals the win for Chicago.
May 23, 1907
In a 2 – 0 win by the Giants over the Mets, New York hurler Mike Pelfrey balks 3 times. It had been 15 years since Al Leiter was the last pitcher to have three balks in a game.
May 17, 2009
In the last Pacific Coast League game played in Seattle, Jim Bouton of the Seattle Angels tops Spokane, 4 – 1.
September 2, 1968
Jack Morris leads the Detroit Tigers to their 17th straight road win, setting an American League record. Morris allows four hits and Detroit beats the California Angels, 5 – 1. Morris allows 4 hits in 9 innings to win‚ and he is backed by homers from Lance Parrish and Alan Trammell. The Tigers will finally lose tomorrow in Seattle‚ 7 – 3.
May 24, 1984
SEARCH Games, Players, Dates
- The Greatest Game Ever Pitched: Juan Marichal, Warren Spahn, and the Pitching Duel of the Century $14.95
- Baseball in Altoona: From the Mountain City to the Curve $12.15
- "Then Roy Said to Mickey. . .": The Best Yankees Stories Ever Told (Best Sports Stories Ever Told) $14.10
- Wake Up with some of the most famous bats with the lumber company mug $12.50 – $17.50
- The Pittsburgh Pirates Encyclopedia: Second Edition
- The Visit - Every pitcher has lived through this one $21.50 – $29.00