On February 10 1982 — the New York Mets come to terms with slugging outfielder George Foster on a five-year contract, thereby completing a four-player trade with the Cincinnati Reds. The Mets had already agreed to send catcher Alex Treviño and pitchers Greg Harris and Jim Kern to the Reds for the power-hitting Foster.
At Wrigley Field, Tom Glavine, a two-time Cy Young Award winner, becomes the 23rd player in major league history to win his 300th victory. The crafty southpaw, the fifth lefty to reach the milestone, limits the Cubs to six hits and a walk in 6.1 innings as the Mets bang out 16 hits and beat Chicago in a nationally televised ESPN Sunday night game, 8-3.
August 5, 2007
1965 – Five days after pitching against each other, the Cubs’ Bob Hendley and LA’s Sandy Koufax hook up again. No no-no this time as Hendley allows four hits and wins, 2 – 1.
September 14, 1965
The Montreal Expos announce they will wear Maurice Richard’s uniform number 9 on their jerseys for the rest of the season to honor the Montreal Canadiens great who died last week. It is believed to be the first time a major league team has honored an athlete from another sport in this way.
June 2, 2000
SEARCH Games, Players, Dates
Join the community
- The Pittsburgh Pirates Encyclopedia: Second Edition
- County Stadium 1970 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your Milwaukee Brewers & Braves $18.00
- Sicks Stadium 1969 Baseball Sweatshirt Crewneck or Hoodie - Home Of Your Seattle Rainers and Pilots $30.00
- The 50 Greatest Players in Pittsburgh Pirates History $30.00
- Veterans Stadium 1971 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your Philadelphia Phillies $18.00
- Oriole Park at Camdon Yards 1992 Baseball Sweatshirt Crewneck or Hoodie - Home Of Your Baltimore Orioles $30.00