On August 18, 1999 — 1B Dale Sveum hits home runs from both sides of plate to power Pittsburgh to a 12 – 6 win over Cincinnati.
Peter Ueberroth takes over the reins of major league baseball as the sport’s sixth commissioner. The former L.A. Olympic president will immediately face a crisis when he needs to arbitrate the labor disagreement with the umpires’ union, who have threatened to strike before the start of the League Championship Series.
October 1, 1984
After signing last year’s American League Rookie of the Year to a five-year, $16 million deal on May 6th, the Royals send Angel Berroa to the Wichita Wranglers, their Double A affiliate in the Texas League. The struggling shortstop is hitting only .249 with five homers and 30 ribbies compared to last season’s award-winning performance when the 26-year old Dominican batted .287 with 17 homers and 73 RBIs in his first full season in the major leagues.
August 10, 2004
In an unusual play, the Orioles turn a triple play as shortstop Melvin Mora purposely lets a short fly drop in left field with runners at first and second. The runner at second (Travis Fryman) is tagged out, and the runner at first (Wil Cordero) is forced at second, and the batter (Sandy Alomar), thinking the infield-fly rule would be enforced, does not go to first and is called automatically out for going back to the dugout.
September 1, 2000
Behind Wade Miller’s 12th straight win, Houston beats the Cardinals, 6 – 3. Miller’s streak ties a club record. Lance Berkman has a double and homer, driving in three runs, and Eli Marrero hits a home run for the 3rd straight game. Miller’s batterymate, Brad Ausmus, collects his 1000th career hit, but also ties the National League record with his 30th GIDP of the season. Ernie Lombardi had 30 GIDP to set the mark.
September 21, 2002
SEARCH Games, Players, Dates
Join the community
- Mickey Mantle turns 89 - Listen to him and his 500th homerunOn October 20, 1931 -- Mickey Mantle, the 'Commerce Comet', is born in Spavinaw, Oklahoma. The newborn's dad, a lead miner known as Mutt, names his son after Mickey Cochrane, not realizing the major league catcher's real name is not Mickey but Gordon. The future Yankee outfielder is glad his father was not aware of […]
- Miracle Mets Win it ALL - Full Game BroadcastUninterrupted full game broadcast of the New York Mets and the Baltimore Orioles. Game 5 of the 1969 World Series. Dave McNally shut out the Mets through five innings and helped himself with a two-run homer in the third inning. Frank Robinson homered in the inning as well, and the Orioles looked to be cruising with a […]
- Bob Gibson wills the Cardinals to the 1964 World ChampionshipOctober 15, 1964 - Bob Gibson pitches on 2 days rest against Mel Stottlemyre a rematch from Game 2. Stottlemyre is 1 of 2 players over 9 Post Starts that was able to beat Gibson. Prior to the start of Game Seven of the 1964 World Series, Cardinals starter Bob Gibson grudgingly obliged the press by posing […]
- Koufax faces the Twins on 2 Days Rest Game 7 1965 World SeriesOctober 14, 1965 - Game 7 1965 World Series. Sandy Koufax throws a 3 hit shutout on 2 days rest. After walking 2 in the 1st he tells catcher John Roseboro my arm is sore I can’t throw the curve. We’ll just blow them away.. Dodger manager Walt Alston was torn between starting Drysdale […]
- Maz Walks it off - Game 7 1960 World Series Yankees vs Pirates Full Radio Broadcast October 13October 13, 1960 -- With the World Series between the Yankees and Pirates knotted at 3 games apiece, Game 7 at Pittsburgh's cavernous Forbes Field would provide one of the most dramatic home runs in World Series history. In the top of the 9th, with a 9-7 lead, the Pirates sent eighteen game winner Bob […]
- After missing a sign Bob Robertson delivers a 3 run HR 1971 World SeriesOn October 12, 1971 The Baltimore Orioles took the first games of the World Series out scoring the Pittsburgh Pirates 16-6. Game 3 shifted to Three Rivers Stadium and with Steve Blass available, The Pirates were up 2-1 in the Bottom of the 7th as Frank Robinson had just homered to make it a one run game for the […]
- The Chairman of the Board Whitey Ford on Tops in Sports"If the World Series was on the line and I could pick one pitcher to pitch the game, I'd choose Whitey Ford every time." - Mickey Mantle Generally considered to be the greatest starting pitcher in the history of the New York Yankees, Whitey Ford was among the premier hurlers of his time. A fierce […]
- Jackie Robinson's last hit - a walk off vs the New York YankeesOn October 9, 1956 --In a 10-inning scoreless pitching duel with both starters going all the way, Jackie Robinson's walk-off single to left in the bottom of the 10th won the game for Clem Labine and kept the Dodgers' championship hopes alive. Tough-luck loser Bob Turley gave up a 10th-inning walk to Jim Gilliam, a […]
- Game 6 1934 World Series - Paul Dean faces School Boy RoweOn October 8, 1934 At Navin Field the St Louis Cardinals Paul Dean won his second game of the series, Dean pitched a complete game 7 hitter, he will go 2-0 in his only World Series appearance. The Tiger's came into the game up 3 games to 2 and pitched ace Schoolboy Rowe who had […]
- Lew Burdette faces off vs Whitey Ford Game 5 1957 World SeriesWhitey Ford and Lew Burdette, facing each other, Game 5 was expected to be a low-scoring affair. However, the game started out with the Yankees looking to score in the first inning. After a leadoff single by Hank Bauer and a sacrifice bunt by Tony Kubek, Gil McDougald hit a line drive that turned into […]
- Sixto Lezcano hits a grandslam on opening day becoming the only player to do it twice November 28, 2020
- Milwaukee Braves vs New York Mets Full Radio Broadcast May 11 1962 November 28, 2020
- Casey Stengel manages his 3000th Game - Full Radio Broadcast November 21, 2020
- 1988 World Series Game 5 Final out Orel Hershiser vs Tony Phillips November 13, 2020
- 1987 World Series Final Out Frank Viola vs Willie McGee November 13, 2020
- 1986 World Series Boston Red Sox at New York Mets Final Out November 11, 2020
- Rheingold Brewery gets a sponsor that pays them more than the franchise is worth November 11, 2020
- Hal Newhouser interviewed by Harry Heilmann November 11, 2020
- Judge Roy Hofheinz leads a ceremony marking the topping point of construction on tha Astrodome November 4, 2020
- Duke Snider career highlights November 3, 2020