On September 15, 1963, the three Alou brothers – Felipe, Jesus, and Matty – play in the San Francisco Giants’ outfield at the same time. Manager Alvin Dark removes starting outfielders Willie Mays and Willie McCovey from the game and plays the Alous together for one inning of the Giants’ 13-5 win over the Pittsburgh Pirates.
The Cubs end their college of coaches experiment with the hiring of Leo Durocher, who signs a three-year deal and is given complete authority on the field. The Lip’s assessment that Chicago is “not an eighth-place ball club,” will prove to be correct when his team finishes tenth next season.
October 25, 1965
2008 – Back from the All-Star break, the Brewers get a complete game win from C.C. Sabathia – just as they did in their last game before the break. Sabathia becomes the first hurler since Wilbur Wood in 1975 to get complete game wins in consecutive games without his team playing a contest in between. Wood accomplished the feat under similar circumstances.
July 18, 2008
Benched for poor hitting, Brooks Robinson sees his streak of 463 straight games at third stopped. Brooks pinch hits in the 8th inning, however, as the Senators edge the Orioles, 6 – 5. Boog Powell smashes three homers in a losing cause.
August 10, 1963
The Nationals announce that the press box in Nationals Park, the team’s new home scheduled to open next season, will be named the “Shirley Povich Media Center”, in honor of the late Hall of Fame Baseball writer. The Washington Post’s longtime sports columnist and reporter covered the Senators’ first World Series championship in 1924 and continued to write for the paper until his death in 1998.
September 16, 2007
SEARCH Games, Players, Dates
Join the community
- Busch Stadium 1953 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your St. Louis Cardinals $18.00
- Tiger Stadium 1918 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your Detroit Tigers $18.00
- "Then Roy Said to Mickey. . .": The Best Yankees Stories Ever Told (Best Sports Stories Ever Told) $14.10
- Forbes Field 1909 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your Pittsburgh Pirates $18.00
- Three Rivers Stadium 1971 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your Pittsburgh Pirates $18.00
- Robison Field 1893 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your St. Louis Cardinals $18.00