On February 4 2005 — A dentist, who became partially blind after being struck attempting to catch a foul ball, is appealing his case against the Philadelphia Phillies which alleges more needs to be done to protect fans. The case, dismissed by a Philadelphia Common Pleas judge citing multiple warnings were made by the club including public address announcements, text on the back of the ticket, and posted signs in the ballpark, will now be heard in the state’s Commonwealth Court.
Minor league pitchers Waner Mateo (Mets), Ryan Rafferty (Royals), Ramón Ramirez and Justin Mallett (Reds), are suspended 50 games each by the Commissioner’s office for violating baseball’s minor league drug program, the first penalties since the sport toughened its rules during the offseason.
April 11, 2006
1949 – The Red Sox, winners of 16 out of the last 19 with the Senators, win the opener in Washington, 6 – 4.
September 27, 1949
Reds right-hander Christy Mathewson faces Mordecai Brown of the Cubs in the career finale for each pitcher, marking the first time that two future Hall of Famers have made their final appearance in the same game. Both Cooperstown-bound hurlers go the distance in Cincinnati’s 10-8 victory at Chicago’s Weeghman Park.
October 4, 1916
SEARCH Games, Players, Dates
Join the community
- Baseball in Altoona: From the Mountain City to the Curve $12.15
- The 50 Greatest Players in Pittsburgh Pirates History $30.00
- Hall of Fame Package $149.00
- "Then Roy Said to Mickey. . .": The Best Yankees Stories Ever Told (Best Sports Stories Ever Told) $14.10
- Pirates By the Numbers: A Complete Team History of the Bucs By Uniform Number $14.99
- Pittsburgh’s Greatest Teams