On April 20 , 2018 – Tyson Ross makes a bid to pitch the first no-hitter in the history of the Padres, keeping the Diamondbacks from getting a base hit until two are out in the game. Unfortunately, CF Franchy Cordero, who has accounted for the game’s only run until then with a massive homer in the 4th, mis-judges a very catchable fly ball by PH Christian Walker, and it falls in for a game-tying double. Ross then leaves the game, with nothing to show for his tremendous performance. Reliever Brad Hand records the last four outs without allowing another safety and gets credit for the 4 – 1 win after San Diego scores three runs in the top of the 9th.
Bob Gibson becomes the seventh pitcher in National League history to strike out the side on nine pitches.
May 12, 1969
Cincinnati Reds hurler Ewell “The Whip” Blackwell comes within two outs of pitching his second straight no-hitter
June 22, 1947
SEARCH Games, Players, Dates
- The 50 Greatest Players in Pittsburgh Pirates History $30.00
- 1960 Pittsburgh Pirates Maz Walkoff Win $31.50 – $39.00
- 2004 Boston Red Sox World Championship $31.50 – $39.00
- "Then Roy Said to Mickey. . .": The Best Yankees Stories Ever Told (Best Sports Stories Ever Told) $14.10
- This Day In Baseball Mug
- Pittsburgh’s Greatest Teams