On August 13, 1982 — At Chavez Ravine, Dodger second baseman Steve Sax steals his 41st base to set a franchise record for rookies when he swipes second base in LA’s 6-1 victory over San Francisco. The eventual National League Rookie of the Year, the fourth consecutive Dodger to win the award, will extend the record to 49.
1966 – By eking out a sweep of this evening’s twin bill against Philadelphia, the hard-pressed Pirates pull to within 1 1/2 games of the league-leading Dodgers with three games left to play, thus freezing Los Angeles’s magic number at 3. In the opener, Steve Blass outduels ex-Buc Jim Bunning, 2 – 1. In the nightcap, Bob Veale outlasts Larry Jackson, 4 – 2, with Roberto Clemente driving in the game-winner with a two-out, 8th-inning RBI double to deep left center. He then scores the insurance run on ex-teammate Dick Groat’s throwing error.
September 28, 1966
A.J. Burnett signs a $82.5 million, 5-year deal with the New York Yankees only 3 days after they inked another top free agent pitcher, CC Sabathia.
December 13, 2008
Bruce Sutter, joining Hoyt Wilhelm (1985), Rollie Fingers (1992), and Dennis Eckersley (2004), becomes the fourth relief pitcher to be voted into the Hall of Fame, and the first hurler elected without a career major league start. The split-fingered fastball, which will eventually lead to career-ending injuries, helped to establish the right-hander as one of the game’s dominant closers.
January 10, 2006
Defeating the A’s, 5-4, the Red Sox become the seventh team to win the last three games of a best-of-five playoff series. Other teams to overcome a 0-2 deficit include the 1981 Dodgers (Astros-NLDS), 1982 Brewers (Angels-ALCS), 1984 Padres (Cubs-NLCS), 1995 Mariners (Yankees-ALDS), 1999 Red Sox (Indians-ALDS), and the 2001 Yankees (A’s-ALDS).
October 6, 2003
SEARCH Games, Players, Dates
Join the community
- Boston Strong! 2013 Boston Red Sox World Championship Remembered $29.50 – $38.00
- Memorial Stadium "Legacy" 1954 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your Baltimore Orioles $18.00
- Seattle Kingdome Past Home of Your Seattle Seahawks & Mariners $18.00
- Shea Stadium 1964 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your New York Mets $18.00
- Memorial Stadium 1954 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your Baltimore Orioles $18.00
- Candlestick Park 1960 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your San Francisco Giants $18.00