On August 4, 1941 — At Ebbets Field, Dodger backstop Mickey Owen becomes the first catcher to handle three foul pop-ups in one inning.
Chico Carrasquel dies in Caracas, Venezuela, at the age of 77. Carrasquel, the first in a great line of Venezuelan shortstops that includes Luis Aparicio, Dave Concepción, Ozzie Guillen and Omar Vizquel, became the first Hispanic player to appear in an All-Star Game, in 1951, at Briggs Stadium.
May 26, 2005
The Kansas City Royals hire Buddy Bell as their new manager, three weeks after Tony Peña resigned. Bell, the bench coach for the Indians, has previously managed Detroitand Colorado.
May 31, 2005
The Caribes de Anzoátegui explode for 19 hits in an emphatic 16 – 8 win over the Tigres de Aragua in the Venezuelan League playoffs. Gorkys Hernandez, with a homer, 2 runs and 2 RBI, and Alexi Amarista, with 4 hits, 2 runs and 4 RBI, lead the Caribes’ attack against Sergio Perez. Anzoátegui is now 6-1 and leads the five-team postseason tournament by 2 games.
January 9, 2012
SEARCH Games, Players, Dates
Join the community
- The Chatty Catcher $21.50 – $29.00
- Event Page Sponsorship $10.00
- The Greatest Game Ever Pitched: Juan Marichal, Warren Spahn, and the Pitching Duel of the Century $14.95
- 1988 Los Angeles Dodgers World Championship $31.50 – $39.00
- 56: Joe Dimaggio and the Last Magic Number in Sports $17.47
- The Dave Coverly Collection $21.50 – $29.00