On June 21, 1935 Babe Herman, on waivers from Pittsburgh, returns to Cincinnati.
Shane Reynolds, Octavio Dotel and Billy Wagner become the first Astros pitchers to throw a shutout at Enron Field as they combine to blank the Cubs, 3 – 0. It took 132 games before the home team calcimined an opponent at Enron, which opened on April 7, 2000. That shutout drought at a new facility tops the old record of 103 games set by the Colorado Rockies after moving into Coors Field in 1995. Last season, Astros hurlers threw only two shutouts, both on the road.
July 22, 2001
1958 – US Representatives Kenneth Keating and Patrick Hillings drop their plan to bring baseball under the nation’s antitrust laws.
January 11, 1958
Oakland defeats Cleveland, 12 – 2. Down by nine runs in the 8th inning, the Indians bring OF Mark Whiten in to pitch. The strong-armed Whiten allows one run on a double, a hit by pitch (Scott Spiezio), and two walks, but also strikes out three batters (Mike Blowers, Miguel Tejada, and Mike Neill). He becomes the only player in major league history, with at least one inning pitched, to get every out with a strikeout.
July 31, 1998
Led by Lou Gehrig, who clouts his 33rd homer, the Yankees down the Indians, 11 – 7, at League Park. The loss snaps the Tribe’s five-game win streak, and leaves the Yankees 8 1/2 games ahead of Cleveland. Gehrig and Red Rolfe clout homers in the 5th to chase Mel Harder, but the Indians answer with three doubles by Earl Averill and a homer by Hal Trosky. Bump Hadley, with relief from Johnny Murphy, hangs on for his 9th win.
July 31, 1936
SEARCH Games, Players, Dates
Join the community
- Pittsburgh’s Greatest Teams
- Oriole Park at Camdon Yards 1992 Baseball Sweatshirt Crewneck or Hoodie - Home Of Your Baltimore Orioles $30.00
- Managers do not like relief pitchers who fail $21.50 – $29.00
- Forbes Field 1909 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your Pittsburgh Pirates $18.00
- Pirates By the Numbers: A Complete Team History of the Bucs By Uniform Number $14.99
- Tiger Stadium 1918 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your Detroit Tigers $18.00