Future Hall of Famer Bob Gibson of the St. Louis Cardinals wins his first Cy Young Award. Gibson is a unanimous choice after dominating hitters with a 22-9 record and an ERA of 1.12 during the “Year of the Pitcher.”
November 2, 1972
1971 – Vida Blue of the Oakland Athletics wins the American League Cy Young Award by a 98-85 margin over Mickey Lolich of the Detroit Tigers. Blue was 24-8 for Oakland, posting 301 strikeouts, eight shutouts and a 1.82 ERA, becoming the youngest pitcher to win the award. In the National League, Ferguson Jenkins of the Chicago Cubs receives the honor.
October 26, 1971
Dallas Keuchel is born in Tulsa, OK. The lefthander would become the third Astro to win a Cy Young Award, and the first in the American League, after his 20-win season in 2015.
January 1, 1988
November 12, 1975
SEARCH Games, Players, Dates
Join the community
- Baseball in Altoona: From the Mountain City to the Curve $12.15
- 2004 Boston Red Sox World Championship $31.50 – $39.00
- Keepsake Engraved Bats $40.00
- The Hidden Fan $21.50 – $29.00
- 1979 Pittsburgh Pirates we are family Championship remembered $31.50 – $39.00
- Plate Create $45.00