Showing that teams put a premium on pitching, the Boston Red Sox and reliever Mike Timlin agree to a one-year contract worth about $3.25 million, and the Seattle Mariners exercise their $6.25 million option on closer Eddie Guardado, choosing to keep him rather than explore an uncertain free agent market.
Tigers right-hander Justin Verlander misses pitching his third career no-hitter when he allows a single to Josh Harrison with one out in the top of the ninth inning. The reigning MVP and Cy Young winner completes the one-hitter, beating Pittsburgh, 6-0, in front of a very enthusiastic Friday night crowd at Detroit’s Comerica Park.
May 18, 2012
The White Sox top the Indians, 9 – 7, behind the potent bat of Nick Swisher. Swisher hits his second grand slam in four days and homers from both sides of the plate in the win.
June 30, 2008
Mark McGwire stands alone as he parks #67 and #68 at Busch Stadium, but his Cards lose, 7 – 6, to Montreal.
September 26, 1998
Yankees outfielder Claudell Washington, appearing as a pinch-hitter, hits the 10,000th round-tripper in franchise history, the most in the major leagues. The historic home run comes off Jeff Reardon in the top of the ninth inning in New York’s eventual extra-inning 7-6 victory over Minnesota at the Metrodome.
April 20, 1988
SEARCH Games, Players, Dates
Join the community
- Sicks Stadium 1969 Baseball Sweatshirt Crewneck or Hoodie - Home Of Your Seattle Rainers and Pilots $30.00
- Player Page Sponsorship $25.00
- The 50 Greatest Players in Pittsburgh Pirates History $30.00
- This Day In Baseball Mug
- Busch Stadium 1953 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your St. Louis Cardinals $18.00
- Pirates By the Numbers: A Complete Team History of the Bucs By Uniform Number $14.99