On May 7, 1999, Carlos Lee becomes the first White Sox player in the 98-year history of the franchise to homer in his first major league at-bat. The 22 year-old rookie’s historic round-tripper comes off Tom Candiotti in a 7-1 victory over Oakland at Comiskey Park.
The Expos agree to a one-year contract with RDS and TSN to telecast 55 games (46 on RDS, 12 on TSN, and three on both) this year. The approximately $2 million pact with French-language Reseau des Sports ends the year-long local television blackout which resulted in the departure of Dave Van Horne, a respected play-by-play announcer, and the loss of the team’s primary sponsor, Labatt Brewery, which cited the lack of local TV rights as a factor in ending its 15-year relationship with the club.
January 9, 2001
Philadelphia’s Del Ennis cracks a double in the 7th and a grand slam in the 8th inning to drive in seven runs against the Cubs as the Phils win, 13 – 3 at home. Philadelphia will win 11 of its next 15 games to hold 1st place by four games over the Braves.
July 27, 1950
February 4, 1958
SEARCH Games, Players, Dates
- The 50 Greatest Players in Pittsburgh Pirates History $30.00
- The Pittsburgh Pirates Encyclopedia: Second Edition
- 1979 Pittsburgh Pirates we are family Championship remembered $31.50 – $39.00
- Managers do not like relief pitchers who fail $21.50 – $29.00
- The Chatty Catcher $21.50 – $29.00
- 1984 Detroit Tiger Bless You Boys Poster $11.50 – $29.00