On April 25, 1876, The Chicago White Stockings make their National League debut with a 4-0 victory over the Grays at the Louisville Baseball Park. The franchise, which will also be known as the Colts and Orphans before becoming the Cubs in 1903, will finish in first place in the circuit’s inaugural season.
April 9, 1981
Chico Ruiz, in the ninth inning of a Reds’ 3-2 loss to Philadelphia at Crosley Field, becomes the only major leaguer ever to pinch-hit for Johnny Bench. The 28 year-old Cuban infielder, with a runner on second, flies out to left field, standing in for the future Hall of Famer, who goes 0-for-3 in his first big league game.
August 28, 1967
April 16, 1964
SEARCH Games, Players, Dates
Join the community
- Robison Field 1893 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your St. Louis Cardinals $18.00
- Candlestick Park 1960 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your San Francisco Giants $18.00
- Ump's getting even $21.50 – $29.00
- Plate Create $45.00
- Dave Coverly Collection $21.50 – $29.00
- Managers do not like relief pitchers who fail $21.50 – $29.00