On January 30, 1958, Commissioner Ford Frick announces that players and coaches will vote on selections for the All-Star Game, replacing the fans’ ballot. The vote will not return to the fans until 1970, when Commissioner Bowie Kuhn reverses Frick’s action.
1991 – Houston Astros first baseman Jeff Bagwell is named the National League Rookie of the Year, becoming the first Houston player to win the award. Bagwell hit .294 with a team-leading 15 home runs and 82 RBI. His 82 walks also led the Astros. Bagwell was picked in the fourth round of the 1989 amateur draft by the Boston Red Sox, then traded in the 1990 stretch drive for relief pitcher Larry Andersen.
November 3, 1991
Kendrys Morales becomes only the third major leaguer to homer from both sides of the plate in the same inning as the Angels drop a 9-run 6th inning on the Rangers on their way to a 15 – 8 win. Morales opens the scoring in the frame with a two-run homer off righty Roy Oswalt to put the Halos ahead, 5 – 3, then, after the batting order turns around, adds a grand slam off lefty Robbie Ross. Carlos Baerga, in 1993, and Mark Bellhorn, in 2002, were the other two players to accomplish the rare feat. Morales’s 6 RBI in the inning are one shy of the American League record of 7, set by Alex Rodriguez on October 4, 2009.
July 30, 2012
Willie Mays hits the first grand slam in the history of the San Francisco Giants. Mays also belts another home run in a 12 – 3 victory over the rival Los Angeles Dodgers. The Giants moved from New York to San Francisco prior to the season.
May 12, 1958
SEARCH Games, Players, Dates
Join the community
- Kauffman Stadium 1973 Baseball Sweatshirt Crewneck or Hoodie - Home Of Your Kansas City Royals $30.00
- The Dave Coverly Collection $21.50 – $29.00
- The Visit - Every pitcher has lived through this one $21.50 – $29.00
- Yankee Stadium 1923 Baseball Sweatshirt Crewneck or Hoodie - Home Of Your New York Yankees $30.00
- Seals Stadium 1959 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of the San Francisco Seals $18.00
- Baseball in Altoona: From the Mountain City to the Curve $12.15