Cool Papa Bell, playing for Cienfuegos, becomes the first slugger to connect for three home runs in a single game during Cuban professional play. A Negro Leaguer and future Hall of Fame member, Bell accomplishes his feat at Aida Park during the 15 – 11 slugfest victory over Habana. All three are inside-the-park efforts. Oscar Levis, Cliff Bell and Martin Dihigo surrender the homers.
The Astros top the Cubs in the first match-up of 100-loss teams since 1962. Bud Norris and four relievers hold Chicago to four hits (two by Starlin Castro) in the contest of sad-sack clubs.
October 2, 2012
At Shea Stadium, a 13-minute delay occurs in the beginning of the ninth of the Mets’ 8-3 victory over the Reds, when David Ross bats out of order, making an out in Corey Patterson’s place in the lineup. The very confused umpires eventually make the correct call, telling Ross to bat again, now with one out, without his teammate having an opportunity to come to the plate.
May 11, 2008
When his team beats Kansas City, 10-3, Red Sox skipper Terry Francona moves ahead of Mike Higgins with his 561st win piloting Boston, the second-most in franchise history. Joe Cronin, the club’s all-time leader, accumulated 1,071 wins during his 13-year tenure with the team from 1935 to 1947.
September 24, 2009
SEARCH Games, Players, Dates
Join the community
- Boston Strong! 2013 Boston Red Sox World Championship Remembered $29.50 – $38.00
- Forbes Field 1909 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your Pittsburgh Pirates $18.00
- Ump's getting even $21.50 – $29.00
- Player Page Sponsorship $25.00
- The Greatest Game Ever Pitched: Juan Marichal, Warren Spahn, and the Pitching Duel of the Century $14.95
- National Park 1950 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of the Washington Nationals $18.00