On November 22, 1961, Frank Robinson of the Cincinnati Reds is a near-unanimous selection as MVP. Robinson, who receives 219 out of a possible 224 points, becomes the first Red to win the MVP in 21 years.
Dodger second baseman Jackie Robinson (.342, 16, 124) becomes the first black player to win the MVP Award. Stan Musial, Ralph Kiner, and teammate Pee Wee Reese are the runners-ups in the BBWAA balloting.
November 18, 1949
November 25, 1930
November 17, 1960
SEARCH Games, Players, Dates
Join the community
- Pittsburgh’s Greatest Teams
- The Pittsburgh Pirates Encyclopedia: Second Edition
- This Day In Baseball Mug
- Managers do not like relief pitchers who fail $21.50 – $29.00
- Boston Strong! 2013 Boston Red Sox World Championship Remembered $29.50 – $38.00
- 1979 Pittsburgh Pirates we are family Championship remembered $31.50 – $39.00