On November 24, 1976, future Hall of Famer Joe Morgan of the Cincinnati Reds wins his second consecutive National League MVP Award. Morgan, who beats out teammate George Foster in the balloting, led the NL in slugging percentage and scored 113 runs.
December 13, 1980
Craig Shipley is born in Parramatta, Australia. The utility infielder bats .263 in 1995, his lone season as an Astro.
January 7, 1963
Joel Hanrahan wins his first game of the year while sitting in a hotel room in Philadelphia. He is credited with the win as Washington finishes off a game suspended on May 5th by defeating the Astros, 11 – 10. Hanrahan, who has since been traded to Pittsburgh on June 30th, pitched the top of the 11th two months ago, before the game was halted by rain in the bottom of the inning with him in the on-deck circle. When play resumes – in Houston, since the Astros are not scheduled to make another trip to D.C. this year – Nyjer Morgan, acquired in return for Hanrahan, is pinch running on first base; Hanrahan is replaced by pinch hitter Josh Bard, who hits a potential inning-ending double play grounder. However, Miguel Tejadathrows the ball away, allowing Morgan to score the winning run. Houston, now the home team, then wins the regularly-scheduled contest that follows, 9 – 4.
July 9, 2009
SEARCH Games, Players, Dates
Join the community
- Ebbets Field 1913 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of the Brooklyn Dodgers $18.00
- Sportsman's Park 1931 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of the St. Louis Browns $18.00
- Arlington Stadium 1972 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your Texas Rangers $18.00
- The Greatest Game Ever Pitched: Juan Marichal, Warren Spahn, and the Pitching Duel of the Century $14.95
- Keepsake Engraved Bats $40.00
- Robison Field 1893 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your St. Louis Cardinals $18.00