2004 – After a groundskeeper finds a grenade in the Wrigley Field turf, police bomb and arson investigators are called to evaluate the discovery. The rusty, hollowed-out shell turns out to be harmless and its origins remain a mystery.
For the second time in four days, a Red Sox pitcher throws a one-hitter as Ray Collins beats the visiting White Sox, 4 – 0. Paul Meloan’s single is the only hit.
August 30, 1910
1986 – California clinches the American League West title with an 8 – 3 win over Texas. Brian Downing belts two home runs for the Angels.
September 26, 1986
In the first of ten consecutive losses, the front-running Phillies lose to the Reds at Connie Mack Stadium, 1-0. The game’s only run scores in the sixth inning when Chico Ruiz steals home, the play which many fans believe is the harbinger of the season-ending collapse which will see the team blow a six-and-half game lead with 12 left to play.
September 21, 1964
1870 – The Chicago White Stockings host the New York Mutuals at Dexter Park with the unofficial national championship at stake with 6,000 fans on hand. With his team ahead, 13 – 12, and having just walked the bases loaded, Mutuals pitcher Rynie Wolters walks off the mound, claiming the umpire is biased. The game ends with the score reverting to the last completed inning, giving Chicago a 7 – 5 win although the Mutuals continue to proclaim themselves the champs.
November 1, 1870
SEARCH Games, Players, Dates
Join the community
- Dave Coverly Collection $21.50 – $29.00
- Sicks Stadium 1969 Baseball Sweatshirt Crewneck or Hoodie - Home Of Your Seattle Rainers and Pilots $30.00
- 10 Cent Beer Night Milwaukee County Stadium T-Shirt $18.00
- Arlington Stadium 1972 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your Texas Rangers $18.00
- Seals Stadium 1959 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of the San Francisco Seals $18.00
- What Shift? hit 'em where they ain't $13.50 – $19.00