On February 17, 1989, Hall of Fame pitcher Lefty Gomez dies at the age of 80. Gomez won 189 games over a 14-year career with the New York Yankees and Washington Senators. Gomez pitched exceptionally well in World Series play, winning six games without a loss.
With two singles in the Red Sox’ 4-2 victory over Philadelphia, Johnny Pesky collects a total of 53 hits in August, the highest monthly total in franchise history. The shortstop’s team mark will be tied in 1950, also accomplished in the month August, by his close friend, Dom DiMaggio.
August 31, 1946
Hisanobu Watanabe wins the Matsutaro Shoriki Award for 2008. Watanabe, a rookie manager for the Seibu Lions, guided his team to the Pacific League pennant and victory in both the 2008 Japan Series and 2008 Asia Series.
November 18, 2008
1970 – Pitcher Larry Dierker orders pinch-hitter Norm Miller to belt a homer as he’s leaving the game. Miller delivers with a three-run shot off Gaylord Perry to key an 8-5 Opening Day win at San Francisco. Dierker picks up the victory while Fred Gladding earns the save.
October 19, 2019
SEARCH Games, Players, Dates
Join the community
- Short-Sleeve Unisex T-Shirt $33.50 – $39.50
- This Day In Baseball Mug
- "Then Roy Said to Mickey. . .": The Best Yankees Stories Ever Told (Best Sports Stories Ever Told) $14.10
- Robison Field 1893 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your St. Louis Cardinals $18.00
- Dave Parker Special $13.50 – $19.00
- 56: Joe Dimaggio and the Last Magic Number in Sports $17.47