On August 25, 1946, future Hall of Famer Rollie Fingers is born in Steubenville, Ohio. After a brilliant amateur career that includes American Legion “Player of the Year” honors, Fingers will make his major league debut with the Oakland A’s in 1968 and will become one of baseball’s top relievers.
Hiromu Fujii hits the first come-from-behind sayonara home run in Hiroshima Carp history, taking Masaichi Kaneda deep.
July 16, 1961
With his sixth-inning double in the 3-2 loss to the Cubs, Cardinals first baseman Albert Pujols becomes only the third player in history to drive in 100 runs during his first eight major league seasons. The two other big leaguers to reach the plateau are Red sox outfielder Ted Williams, who also accomplished the feat for eight seasons from 1939-42, 46-49, and starting in 1924, fly-chaser Al Simmons did it for 11 years playing for the A’s (9) and the White Sox (2) .
September 11, 2008
At County Stadium Bill Taylor knocks a pinch home run in the 10th off Gene Conley to give the Giants a 1 – 0 win over the Braves. It is the first time in history that a pinch solo homer accounts for all the scoring. For Taylor‚ a reinstated service player‚ it is his first major league home run. Ruben Gomez wins his 6th of 7 decisions against the Braves.
June 10, 1954
University of Wisconsin standout Rick Reichardt receives the highest bonus to date when he signs with the Angels for $200,000. The bidding war for the talented Badger outfielder ultimately led the owners to institute a draft, which started in 1965 when Arizona State University’s Rick Monday became the first-ever #1 overall selection.
June 26, 1964
SEARCH Games, Players, Dates
- Pirates By the Numbers: A Complete Team History of the Bucs By Uniform Number $14.99
- 2004 Boston Red Sox World Championship $31.50 – $39.00
- Wake Up with some of the most famous bats with the lumber company mug $12.50 – $17.50
- The Visit - Every pitcher has lived through this one $21.50 – $29.00
- "Then Roy Said to Mickey. . .": The Best Yankees Stories Ever Told (Best Sports Stories Ever Told) $14.10
- Boston Strong! 2013 Boston Red Sox World Championship Remembered $29.50 – $38.00