Host Tom Hannon discusses what inspired him to launch the This Day in Baseball podcast – ‘The Daily Rewind’. It is a podcast for curious baseball fans that want a little more than just the stats. We dive into one specific date and event and to give you the story behind the event.
Cleveland slugger Jim Thome, not known for his speed, steals his only base of the season. The Indians’ first baseman’s swipe of home plate in the top of the fourth inning will prove to be the game’s only run in the Tribe’s 1-0 victory over Kansas City at Kauffman Stadium
May 21, 1997
A hard week for managers: Tom Brown is replaced at Washington by “Dirty Jack” Doyle‚ Billy Barnie is fired by 9th-place Brooklyn. Barnie’s successor‚ CF Mike Griffin‚ resigns after 4 games; President Charlie Ebbets fills in. “Scrappy” Bill Joyce is dropped by the New York Giants in favor of Cap Anson‚ who takes over tomorrow.
June 10, 1898
Daniel Nava of the Red Sox hits the first pitch he sees as a major leaguer for a grand slam as Boston beats Philadelphia, 10 – 2. Kevin Kouzmanoff had been the only previous player to accomplish this feat, in 2006. Nava bails out emergency starter Scott Atchison, filling in for Daisuke Matsuzaka, who is placed on the disabled list before the game with a right forearm strain; Manny Delcarmen is the winner over Joe Blanton. The Phillies now fall to 3rd in the NL East.
June 12, 2010
If anyone still thinks being a major league umpire is a cushy job, today’s games provide a serious disclaimer as three different arbiters need to leave games because of injuries. Mike Everitt is struck in the chest by a 95-mph fastball by Reynaldo Lopez of the White Sox, Tom Hallion is hit in the mask by a foul ball, and Scott Barry, working second base, has to be helped off the field with an apparent leg injury.
June 4, 2019
SEARCH Games, Players, Dates
Join the community
- Shibe Park 1909 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of the Philadelphia A's $18.00
- 1984 Bless You Boys Detroit Tigers World Championship $31.50 – $39.00
- Oriole Park at Camdon Yards 1992 Baseball Sweatshirt Crewneck or Hoodie - Home Of Your Baltimore Orioles $30.00
- Three Rivers Stadium 1971 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your Pittsburgh Pirates $18.00
- Kauffman Stadium 1973 Baseball Sweatshirt Crewneck or Hoodie - Home Of Your Kansas City Royals $30.00
- Baseball in Altoona: From the Mountain City to the Curve $12.15