On August 14, 1929 — It is Charlie Gehringer Day in Detroit, and the popular 2B handles 10 chances in the field, hits three singles and a home run, and steals home in a 17 – 13 win over the Yankees.
Nationals outfielder Michael Taylor has a nightmarish game, as he gets to wear the platinum sombrero, striking out five times, then lets Yasiel Puig’s 9th-inning single roll under his glove for a three-base error. The mistake turns a 3 – 2 Nats lead to a 4 – 3 loss to the Dodgers, as Howie Kendrick also scores on the “Little League homer”.
June 22, 2016
1924 – In the second twinbill whitewash in the National League in two weeks‚ the Reds shut out the Cardinals‚ 5 – 0 and 9 – 0. Carl Mays submarines the Birds in the opener and Rube Benton coasts in the nitecap.
September 1, 1924
At Haymakers’ Grounds, future Hall of Fame first baseman Roger Connor becomes the first major leaguer to hit a grand slam, giving the Troy Trojans a 7-4 walk-off victory over the Worcester Ruby Legs. The 23 year-old Waterbury, CT native’s sayonara slam, a home run which wins a game when a team is down by three runs in the bottom of the final inning, comes with two outs.
September 10, 1881
SEARCH Games, Players, Dates
Join the community
- Keepsake Engraved Bats $40.00
- Dodger Stadium 1962 Baseball Sweatshirt Crewneck or Hoodie - Home Of Your Los Angeles Dodgers $30.00
- Wrigley Field 1916 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your Chicago Cubs $18.00
- Busch Stadium 1966 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your St. Louis Cardinals $18.00
- Candlestick Park 1960 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your San Francisco Giants $18.00
- The Kingdome 1977 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your Seattle Mariners $18.00