On November 16, 1988, Jose Canseco of the Oakland A’s becomes the first unanimous winner of the American League’s MVP Award since Reggie Jackson in 1973. In winning the award, Canseco became the first player in major league history to hit 40 home runs and steal 40 bases in the same season.
Before a crowd of 55,021, the Rockies split a pair with the visiting Padres. The Rocks outslug the Pads to win the opener, 10 – 9, as the two teams combine for six homers. No balls leave the park in game 2, an 11 – 3 Padre win. San Diego scores a National League-record 9 runs in the 11th, and the 10 runs in the inning by two teams is one short of the NL mark.
June 28, 1994
1926 – Lou Gehrig and Babe Ruth demonstrate that power hitting is not the only thing they can do when Lou scores on a double steal with the Babe in a victory over the White Sox. They had pulled the same double steal against the Red Sox on April 13th.
July 24, 1926
1959 – The Yankees invite Australian cricket player Norman O’Neill for a tryout at SS. U.S. Davis Cup captain Billy Talbert, while playing tennis in Australia, arranges the deal after hearing of O’Neill’s prowess.
February 17, 1959
SEARCH Games, Players, Dates
Join the community
- Shea Stadium 1964 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your New York Mets $18.00
- Keepsake Engraved Bats $40.00
- The Astrodome 1965 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your Houston Astros $18.00
- Riverfront Stadium 1970 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your Cincinnati Reds $18.00
- Three Rivers Stadium 1971 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your Pittsburgh Pirates $18.00
- San Diego Stadium 1969 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your San Diego Padres $18.00