On July 29, 2006 — Julio Franco became the oldest player ever to pinch run when he takes Carlos Delgado’s place on the basepaths after the Mets’ infielder is hit by a pitch in the fourth inning. The 47 year-old pinch-runner, who will stay in the game to play first, steals second base and will advance to third on the catcher’s error in the Mets’ 11-4 win over Atlanta at Turner Field.
George Diggins, the New England League Concord (NH) Marines’ nine year-old mascot, participates in their Class B game in Lowell when the team’s�second baseman becomes ill and its�center fielder is ejected. The youngest professional player in the history of the game doesn’t have an opportunity to field any balls playing right�field and strikes out in his only at bat in the contest played at Alumni Field, which was also known as Spalding Park.
June 25, 1904
1990 – Franklin Stubbs drives in six as the Astros blast the Dodgers, 10-1. Jim Deshaies hurls a four-hitter. Stubbs clubs his 22nd homer, a three-run shot, to break open a game that saw six Astros score after reaching base on walks.
October 15, 2019
1957 – Philadelphia Phillies pitcher Jack Sanford, who posted a 19-8 record with 188 strikeouts and a 3.08 ERA, is named National League Rookie of the Year. Sanford beats out his teammate, first baseman Ed Bouchee.
November 7, 1957
1903 – A year before the first subway is completed, the Brooklyn Superbas, later to be known as the Dodgers, play their cross-town rivals in a two-stadium, same day doubleheader. The first game played in Washington Park begins at 10:30 am with 9,300 fans watching the visiting Giants win the opener, 6 – 4 and later that afternoon in front of 23,623 fans at the Polo Grounds in Manhattan, Brooklyn wins the second game, 3 – 0.
September 7, 1903
SEARCH Games, Players, Dates
Join the community
- Candlestick Park 1960 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your San Francisco Giants $18.00
- The Greatest Game Ever Pitched: Juan Marichal, Warren Spahn, and the Pitching Duel of the Century $14.95
- Arlington Stadium 1972 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your Texas Rangers $18.00
- Wake Up with some of the most famous bats with the lumber company mug $12.50 – $17.50
- The Pittsburgh Pirates Encyclopedia: Second Edition
- Robison Field 1893 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your St. Louis Cardinals $18.00