On May 7, 1998, At the Kingdome, the Mariners tie a major league record set by the 1994 Cardinals when they leave 16 men stranded on the bases without scoring. The Blue Jays take advantage of their opponent’s lack of timely hitting and beat Seattle, 6-0.
The Pirates name Fred Haney to be the team’s manager, replacing Billy Meyer who was selected as The Sporting News Major League Manager of the Year in 1948 following his first season at the helm. The Bucs will finish in last place each season, compiling a dismal 163-299 (.353) record during their new skipper’s three-year tenure in Pittsburgh.
December 11, 1952
August 31, 1964
Wheaties sponsors the first telecast of a baseball game when their ads air during the Ebbets Field contest between the Reds and the Dodgers. The commercial broadcast is available only in New York City, where an estimated 500 people own television sets.
August 29, 1939
SEARCH Games, Players, Dates
- "Then Roy Said to Mickey. . .": The Best Yankees Stories Ever Told (Best Sports Stories Ever Told) $14.10
- This one will have you in stitches $21.50 – $29.00
- Managers do not like relief pitchers who fail $21.50 – $29.00
- Ump's getting even $21.50 – $29.00
- Pittsburgh’s Greatest Teams
- Wake Up with some of the most famous bats with the lumber company mug $12.50 – $17.50