On November 18, 1981, future Hall of Famer Mike Schmidt wins his second straight MVP Award. Schmidt becomes only the third player in National League history to win back-to-back MVPs. Ernie Banks and Joe Morgan also won the award in consecutive seasons.
1940 – George Caster of the Philadelphia Athletics allows 6 home runs in one game against the Boston Red Sox. Ted Williams, Jimmie Foxx, Joe Cronin and Jim Tabor connect in the 6th inning. Foxx’s homer is his 500th.
September 24, 1940
Chris Davis hits his 50th homer of the year off Steve Delabar in the 8th to lead the Orioles to a 5 – 3 win over Toronto. Davis joins Babe Ruth and Albert Belle as the only players to hit 50 dingers and 40 doubles in the same season.
September 13, 2013
At Fenway Park, 35,866 are on hand to watch the Orioles topple the Red Sox, 12 – 8. Despite the offense, Boston’s Denny Doyle has his 22-game hitting streak stopped.
August 4, 1975
During a 3-1 victory over the Yankees in New York, Jim Fregosi of the expansion Angels becomes the first player to hit for the cycle during the 3+ years of existence of the franchise. The Los Angeles shortstop will accomplish the feat again in 1968, making it the second occurrence in club history.
July 28, 1964
SEARCH Games, Players, Dates
Join the community
- Wake Up with some of the most famous bats with the lumber company mug $12.50 – $17.50
- MVP Ultimate Fan Package $99.00
- The Astrodome 1965 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your Houston Astros $18.00
- Short-Sleeve Unisex T-Shirt $33.50 – $39.50
- Dave Coverly Collection $21.50 – $29.00
- Crosley Field 1912 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your Cincinnati Reds $18.00