On April 19, 1949, the New York Yankees unveil a granite monument to Babe Ruth. “Monument Park,” located in the deep centerfield region of Yankee Stadium, also includes monuments for Lou Gehrig and Miller Huggins.
Daisuke Matsuzaka and Daniel Bard combine on a one-hitter as Boston defeats Philadelphia, 5 – 0. The Phils’ only hit comes with two out in the 8th, when Juan Castro drops a pop-up just beyond the reach of shortstop Marco Scutaro.
May 22, 2010
The Giants’ Don Mueller makes his 200th hit an inside-the-park home run, making him the first Giant to get 200 hits since Joe Moore in 1936. Willie Mays also has an inside-the park homer, as the Giants beat the Phils, 8 – 1.
September 18, 1954
1955 – Whitey Ford continues his mastery with his second consecutive one-hitter, beating the A’s, 2 – 1. Jim Finigan hits a 2-out single in the 7th for the A’s only hit. Ford is the 5th major league pitcher to throw consecutive one-hitters.
September 7, 1955
SEARCH Games, Players, Dates
Join the community
- The Pittsburgh Pirates Encyclopedia: Second Edition
- 56: Joe Dimaggio and the Last Magic Number in Sports $17.47
- 1988 Los Angeles Dodgers World Championship $31.50 – $39.00
- "Then Roy Said to Mickey. . .": The Best Yankees Stories Ever Told (Best Sports Stories Ever Told) $14.10
- Wake Up with some of the most famous bats with the lumber company mug $12.50 – $17.50
- The Dave Coverly Collection $21.50 – $29.00