On February 13, 1953, the Philadelphia A’s change the name of Shibe Park to Connie Mack Stadium, in honor of their longtime owner and manager. Mack was part-owner and manager of the franchise for a record 50 years. Connie Mack Stadium will remain in existence until 1970, when it is torn down and replaced by Veterans Stadium.
Orioles right-hander Roger Nelson is selected first by the Royals in the American League expansion draft. The Pilots then choose first baseman Don Mincher from the Angels as their franchise’s first choice.
October 15, 1968
Unbeknownst at the time, Marlins outfielder Giancarlo Stanton will become the last player to be issued a four-pitch intentional walk when he gets a free pass in the top of the eighth inning off Nationals relief pitcher Reynaldo Lopez in Miami’s 10-7 loss in Washington. In an effort to speed up the game, the implementation of the strategic base-on-balls will become automatic next season, making it unnecessary to throw four balls out of the strike zone to walk a batter.
October 2, 2016
December 22, 1997
With all 14 interleague games – and one National League game – taking place in NL parks, a designated hitter is not used in a full slate of major league games for the first time since 1972. Visiting pitchers will have plenty of opportunities to swing the bat as there is not a home game scheduled in American League parks for 10 consecutive days.
June 14, 2002
SEARCH Games, Players, Dates
Join the community
- Managers do not like relief pitchers who fail $21.50 – $29.00
- Player Page Sponsorship $25.00
- The Hidden Fan $21.50 – $29.00
- "Then Roy Said to Mickey. . .": The Best Yankees Stories Ever Told (Best Sports Stories Ever Told) $14.10
- 1979 Pittsburgh Pirates we are family Championship remembered $31.50 – $39.00
- Wake Up with some of the most famous bats with the lumber company mug $12.50 – $17.50