On November 2, 1976 San Diego left-hander Randy Jones (22-14, 2.74) captures the National League’s Cy Young Award, capturing 15 of the 24 first-place votes cast by the writers. Two seasons ago, the 26 year-old southpaw had lost 22 games for the last-place Padres.
November 2, 1983
Pedro Martinez of the Montreal Expos breaks the stranglehold the veteran Greg Maddux and the Atlanta Braves have on the National League Cy Young Award. Since 1991, either Maddux or a Braves pitcher has captured the award. Martinez posted a 17-8 record with 305 strikeouts, a 1.90 ERA, and 13 complete games, giving Canada a clean sweep of the Cy Young this year. Roger Clemens of the Toronto Blue Jays won the American League award a day earlier. It’s a bittersweet moment for Montreal, as Martinez will be traded away a week later.
November 11, 1997
November 2, 1977
November 2, 1972
SEARCH Games, Players, Dates
Join the community
- The Hidden Fan $21.50 – $29.00
- Pirates By the Numbers: A Complete Team History of the Bucs By Uniform Number $14.99
- Dave Coverly Collection $21.50 – $29.00
- 1979 Pittsburgh Pirates we are family Championship remembered $31.50 – $39.00
- Baseball in Altoona: From the Mountain City to the Curve $12.15
- 1984 Detroit Tiger Bless You Boys Poster $11.50 – $29.00