On November 14, 1989, San Diego Padres relief ace Mark Davis wins the Cy Young Award. Davis saved 44 games while sporting an ERA of 1.85. The next season Davis will save only six games after signing a free agent contract with the Kansas City Royals.
December 14, 1932
1948 – A DC6 plane carrying the Santiago Baseball Club crashes in Rio Verde de Yamasa, Monte Plata while returning from playing a doubleheader in Barahona. All 32 occupants are killed, including Dominican baseball legend Pedro Báez, the team’s manager, in what is considered the biggest tragedy in the country’s sports history.
January 11, 1948
In a 5-0 loss to San Diego, Phillies southpaw Steve Carlton whiffs four batters to move past Walter Johnson into second place (3,511) on the career all-time strikeout list. ‘Lefty,’ ten K’s behind leader Nolan Ryan, will finish the season in front of the Astros’ right-hander as the all-time career leader with 3,709.
May 20, 1983
Two days after being acquired from Cleveland, Victor Martinez makes his presence felt in the Red Sox line-up, banging out 5 hits and collecting 4 RBI in an 18 – 10 thrashing of Baltimore. For his part, Kevin Youkilis goes 10 for 12 in the BoSox three-game sweep of the Birds at Camden Yards.
August 2, 2009
SEARCH Games, Players, Dates
Join the community
- Wrigley Field 1916 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your Chicago Cubs $18.00
- Dodger Stadium 1962 Baseball Sweatshirt Crewneck or Hoodie - Home Of Your Los Angeles Dodgers $30.00
- Memorial Stadium 1954 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your Baltimore Orioles $18.00
- Shea Stadium 1964 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your New York Mets $18.00
- 1984 Detroit Tiger Bless You Boys Poster $11.50 – $29.00
- Polo Grounds 1890 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of the New York Giants $18.00