On June 21, 1967 In retaliation for Joe Foy getting struck in the helmet in the top of the frame, Red Sox starter Jim Lonborg promptly plunks opposing pitcher Thad Tillotson in the back, igniting a bench-clearing brawl in the second inning of the Yankees’ 8-1 loss to Boston at Yankee Stadium. The five-minute melee results in no ejections but doesn’t quite settle the matter when Reggie Smith is brushed back in the third, and Dick Howser leaves the game in the fifth after being hit the head with a pitch.
About The Author
September 13, 1986
In the first of two games at Crosley Field, Frank Robinson and Eddie Mathews exchange punches after Robbie slides in hard at third base in the 7th inning. Robbie comes out on the short end with a swollen eye, bloody nose, and jammed thumb, but comes back in the nitecap with a double and homer to lead the Reds to a 4 – 0 win. Bob Purkey wins the shutout, despite allowing 11 hits.
August 15, 1960
Pedro Guerrero throws his bat at David Cone after being hit by a pitch in the Dodgers’ 5 – 2 loss to the Mets. He will be suspended for four games by National League president Bart Giamatti.
May 22, 1988
SEARCH Games, Players, Dates
Join the community
- Shibe Park 1909 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of the Philadelphia A's $18.00
- Pittsburgh’s Greatest Teams
- Griffith Stadium 1911 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of the Washington Senators $18.00
- Veterans Stadium 1971 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your Philadelphia Phillies $18.00
- Managers do not like relief pitchers who fail $21.50 – $29.00
- 1960 Pittsburgh Pirates Maz Walkoff Win $31.50 – $39.00