On September 14, 1948, in the midst of a pennant race, the Boston Post publishes a four-line poem by Gerry Hern calling on pitchers Warren Spahn and Johnny Sain to bear the pitching burden, resting on off days and – if luck is with the Braves – when it rains. The rhyme is shortened by Braves fans to “Spahn and Sain and pray for rain.”
December 10, 1997
On Labor Day, in just his 11th start, Cardinal freshman hurler Bud Smith no-hits the Padres, 4-0. The 21 year-old becomes the 18th rookie to throw a no-hitter since 1900 to accomplish the feat.
September 3, 2001
1914 – At New York, the Cardinals win their third game in a row over the stumbling Giants, 4 – 3. Cozy Dolan’s 9th-inning double off reliever Christy Mathewson drives home the winning score.
September 24, 1914
December 7, 1998
SEARCH Games, Players, Dates
Join the community
- Seattle Kingdome Past Home of Your Seattle Seahawks & Mariners $18.00
- 1960 Pittsburgh Pirates Maz Walkoff Win $31.50 – $39.00
- 1979 Pittsburgh Pirates we are family Championship remembered $31.50 – $39.00
- Seals Stadium 1959 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of the San Francisco Seals $18.00
- Event Page Sponsorship $10.00
- The Hidden Fan $21.50 – $29.00