On November 2, 1972, Steve Carlton wins his first Cy Young Award. “Lefty” won 27 games for the last-place Phillies, who won just 59 games all season.
1971 – Vida Blue of the Oakland Athletics wins the American League Cy Young Award by a 98-85 margin over Mickey Lolich of the Detroit Tigers. Blue was 24-8 for Oakland, posting 301 strikeouts, eight shutouts and a 1.82 ERA, becoming the youngest pitcher to win the award. In the National League, Ferguson Jenkins of the Chicago Cubs receives the honor.
October 26, 1971
November 3, 1965
Dallas Keuchel is born in Tulsa, OK. The lefthander would become the third Astro to win a Cy Young Award, and the first in the American League, after his 20-win season in 2015.
January 1, 1988
SEARCH Games, Players, Dates
Join the community
- Plate Create $45.00
- Dave Coverly Collection $21.50 – $29.00
- Boston Strong! 2013 Boston Red Sox World Championship Remembered $29.50 – $38.00
- "Then Roy Said to Mickey. . .": The Best Yankees Stories Ever Told (Best Sports Stories Ever Told) $14.10
- Managers do not like relief pitchers who fail $21.50 – $29.00
- Ump's getting even $21.50 – $29.00