On November 2, 1977, receiving 17 of the 24 first-place votes, Steve Carlton wins his second National League Cy Young Award. The Phillies’ ace posted a record of 23-10 with 198 strikeouts and a 2.64 ERA, helping the club to their second straight NL East title.
October 27, 1968
November 3, 1965
November 12, 1975
Pedro Martinez of the Montreal Expos breaks the stranglehold the veteran Greg Maddux and the Atlanta Braves have on the National League Cy Young Award. Since 1991, either Maddux or a Braves pitcher has captured the award. Martinez posted a 17-8 record with 305 strikeouts, a 1.90 ERA, and 13 complete games, giving Canada a clean sweep of the Cy Young this year. Roger Clemens of the Toronto Blue Jays won the American League award a day earlier. It’s a bittersweet moment for Montreal, as Martinez will be traded away a week later.
November 11, 1997
SEARCH Games, Players, Dates
Join the community
- This Day In Baseball Mug
- 1984 Bless You Boys Detroit Tigers World Championship $31.50 – $39.00
- Player Page Sponsorship $25.00
- 2004 Boston Red Sox World Championship $31.50 – $39.00
- What Shift? hit 'em where they ain't $13.50 – $19.00
- The Visit - Every pitcher has lived through this one $21.50 – $29.00