On November 2, 1977, receiving 17 of the 24 first-place votes, Steve Carlton wins his second National League Cy Young Award. The Phillies’ ace posted a record of 23-10 with 198 strikeouts and a 2.64 ERA, helping the club to their second straight NL East title.
Pedro Martinez of the Montreal Expos breaks the stranglehold the veteran Greg Maddux and the Atlanta Braves have on the National League Cy Young Award. Since 1991, either Maddux or a Braves pitcher has captured the award. Martinez posted a 17-8 record with 305 strikeouts, a 1.90 ERA, and 13 complete games, giving Canada a clean sweep of the Cy Young this year. Roger Clemens of the Toronto Blue Jays won the American League award a day earlier. It’s a bittersweet moment for Montreal, as Martinez will be traded away a week later.
November 11, 1997
October 27, 1968
November 2, 1972
SEARCH Games, Players, Dates
Join the community
- Kauffman Stadium 1973 Baseball Sweatshirt Crewneck or Hoodie - Home Of Your Kansas City Royals $30.00
- Busch Stadium 1953 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your St. Louis Cardinals $18.00
- This one will have you in stitches $21.50 – $29.00
- The Visit - Every pitcher has lived through this one $21.50 – $29.00
- Tiger Stadium 1918 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your Detroit Tigers $18.00
- The 50 Greatest Players in Pittsburgh Pirates History $30.00