Leading the league in victories (27), ERA (1.97), starts (41), complete games (30), and strikeouts (310), Steve Carlton wins the NL’s Cy Young Award. ‘Lefty’s’ 27 victories account for nearly half (45.8%) of the last-place Phillies’ wins.
About The Author
We make your memories come to life!
1957 – In Pittsburgh, Braves IF Felix Mantilla and OF Billy Bruton collide while chasing a pop fly. Mantilla will miss 19 games while Bruton will suffer knee damage and be out almost a year.
July 11, 1957
In Game 4 of the World Series, Barry Bonds is walked intentionally three times, setting a new record for a Fall Classic game. Angels starting pitcher John Lackey, who issues all the free passes to the Giants left fielder, does not factor in the decision in San Francisco’s 4-3 victory at Pac Bell, which deadlocks the series at two.
October 23, 2002
1993 – Cal Ripken of the Baltimore Orioles suffers a twisted right knee when his spikes catch in the infield grass in a contest against the Seattle Mariners. The resulting swollen knee the next day almost ends his consecutive streak at Game 1,790.
June 6, 1993
SEARCH Games, Players, Dates
Join the community
- Kauffman Stadium 1973 Baseball Sweatshirt Crewneck or Hoodie - Home Of Your Kansas City Royals $30.00
- 1988 Los Angeles Dodgers World Championship $31.50 – $39.00
- Polo Grounds 1890 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of the New York Giants $18.00
- 1984 Bless You Boys Detroit Tigers World Championship $31.50 – $39.00
- Crosley Field 1912 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your Cincinnati Reds $18.00
- Seattle Kingdome Past Home of Your Seattle Seahawks & Mariners $18.00