On August 6, 2000 — The Blue Jays obtain 2B Mickey Morandini from the Phillies in exchange for a player to be named. He just misses moving into second on the all-time games played list for Philadelphia Phillies second basemen, having played 926 games at second for Philadelphia, the third highest total in franchise history, six games short of Otto Knabe (1905-1913). Tony Taylor (1960-1971 and 1974-1976) holds the record having played in 1,003 games for the Phils at second.
With the Highlanders leading the Tigers, 3 – 2, in the 8th, Detroit scores two runs on a Ty Cobb triple. With lefty Claude Rossman the next hitter, New York’s new manager Kid Elberfeld moves righty pitcher Jack Chesbro to 1B and replaces him with first baseman Hal Chase. Chase allows a fly ball that scores Cobb, then goes back to 1B and Chesbro resumes his spot on the mound. It is Chase’s only pitching appearance as the Tigers win, 5 – 3.
July 25, 1908
Kenny Lofton establishes an Indian record when he steals his 62nd base of the season, a swipe of second base in the first inning. The Tribe’s rookie center fielder surpasses the previous franchise mark established by Miguel Dilone in 1980.
September 24, 1992
Yhency Brazoban records his 18th save when he works a perfect ninth inning as the Dodgers beat the Mets, 6-5. The Los Angeles freshman, who is filling in for injured closer Eric Gagne, breaks Steve Howe’s club rookie record for saves established in 1980.
July 22, 2005
SEARCH Games, Players, Dates
Join the community
- The Chatty Catcher $21.50 – $29.00
- This Day In Baseball Mug
- The Greatest Game Ever Pitched: Juan Marichal, Warren Spahn, and the Pitching Duel of the Century $14.95
- Polo Grounds 1890 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of the New York Giants $18.00
- Shea Stadium 1964 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your New York Mets $18.00
- Fulton County Stadium 1966 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your Atlanta Braves $18.00