On August 14, 2004 — The Florida State League’s Daytona Cubs will be forced to shift their home games into away contests as Hurricane Charley causes extensive damage to their historic ballpark. The facility, which was built in 1914 and renamed for Jackie Robinson to commemorate the site where the future Hall of Famer and civil rights advocate played his first exhibition game with the Montreal Royals, was also damaged by Hurricane Donna (1966) and Hurricane Floyd (1999).
Monte Irvin’s tenure with the Giants ends when the former Negro League standout is claimed in the Rule V draft by the Cubs. The future Hall of Fame outfielder will retire after playing one season in Chicago, finishing his brief eight-year major league career with a .293 batting average.
November 28, 1955
The AL and NL all-star teams depart on an exhibition tour of Japan. The National League squad will take four of seven from the American League counterparts, but the teams will combine to split a pair of games with the Japanese all-stars.
November 3, 1979
Ernie Harwell begins as an announcer for the Dodgers calling a 5 – 4 win over the Cubs. The Dodgers had to trade a player, Cliff Dapper, to the Atlanta Crackers to acquire Harwell. Brooklyn scores a pair in the 1st, one on a steal of home by Jackie Robinson.
August 4, 1948
SEARCH Games, Players, Dates
Join the community
- Memorial Stadium 1954 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your Baltimore Orioles $18.00
- Metropolitan Stadium 1961 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your Minnesota Twins $18.00
- The Pittsburgh Pirates Encyclopedia: Second Edition
- Pittsburgh’s Greatest Teams
- 10 Cent Beer Night Milwaukee County Stadium T-Shirt $18.00
- Pirates By the Numbers: A Complete Team History of the Bucs By Uniform Number $14.99