On November 2, 1960, in the second closest MVP vote ever, Roger Maris narrowly defeats teammate Mickey Mantle, by three votes, 225-222. The closest MVP race occurred in 1947, when Joe DiMaggio edged Ted Williams by a single vote.
January 12, 1972
1942 – A beanball salvo between Manny Salvo of the Braves and Whit Wyatt of the Dodgers ends in a 2 – 0 Boston victory. Only two batters are hit‚ but many pitches are close and the hurlers almost come to blows twice. Salvo gets fined $50 and Wyatt $75. Wyatt also tosses a bat. For Wyatt (8-1)‚ it is his first loss after 10 straight wins over the Braves.
August 8, 1942
1995 – The St. Louis Cardinals sign a pair of free agents, outfielder Ron Gant and pitcher Andy Benes. Gant hit 29 home runs and stole 23 bases for Cincinnati, and Benes won 11 games while splitting his season between San Diego and Seattle. Benes will join younger brother Alan in the Cardinals’ rotation.
December 23, 1995
SEARCH Games, Players, Dates
Join the community
- Baker Bowl 1887 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your Philadelphia Phillies $18.00
- Polo Grounds 1890 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of the New York Giants $18.00
- Memorial Stadium "Legacy" 1954 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your Baltimore Orioles $18.00
- Ump's getting even $21.50 – $29.00
- Memorial Stadium 1954 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your Baltimore Orioles $18.00
- Arlington Stadium 1972 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your Texas Rangers $18.00