On June 21, 2011 The University of South Carolina beats top seed Virginia in the 2011 College World Series. It is their 13th straight win in a College World Series game, tying a record held by the University of Southern California (1972-1974) and Louisiana State University (1997-1998).
Before the start of spring training, Don Zimmer and right-hander Bob Miller, both who reside in the St. Pete area, become the first players to don a Mets jersey when they model the club’s away uniform tops for a photo shoot at Huggins Field. The expansion team’s inaugural third baseman, who will be traded to the Reds in May for southpaw Bob Miller, poses with his nine year-old son Tommy on his shoulders.
February 11, 1962
Staving off what would have been one of the worst collapses in baseball history, the White Sox clinch their first American League Central title since 2000, beating the Tigers at Detroit’s Comerica Park, 4-2. The Pale Hose had watched their 15-game lead on August 1 shrink to only a game and a half over the rampaging Indians.
September 29, 2005
The Athletics beat the Twins‚ 6 – 5‚ in 18 innings. It is the second-longest game in the 23-year history of the Metrodome.
August 8, 2004
Mets rookie Dwight Gooden ties a major league record shared by Luis Tiant (1968 Indians) and Nolan Ryan (1974 Angels) with a total of 32 strikeouts in two consecutive games. The 19 year-old Dr. K, who strikes out 16 Phillies in the team’s 2-1 loss at Veterans Stadium, also fanned sixteen Buc batters in his last start, a 2-0 complete-game victory at Shea Stadium.
September 17, 1984
SEARCH Games, Players, Dates
Join the community
- Cookie Lavagetto breaks up no hitter with a walk off in the 1947 world seriesOn October 3, 1947, in the 1947 World Series @ Ebbets Field - Cookie Lavagetto of the Brooklyn Dodgers breaks up Bill Bevens’ no-hit bid with two outs in the ninth, Lavagetto pinch-hitting for Eddie Stanky, hits a two-out ninth-inning double giving the “Bums” a dramatic and unlikely 3-2 win over the New York Yankees […]
- Vida Blue on the CBS Evening News June 26 1971On June 2, 1971, this clip was Originally aired of Vida Blue of the Oakland A’s was in the midst of setting the baseball world on its ear when this story aired. Interviews with Blue’s mother is included as are clips of him pitching against the Kansas City Royals. Royals manager Bob Lemon and first […]
- Jackie Robinson is elected to the Hall of FameOn January 23 1962 -- Pitcher Bob Feller and infielder Jackie Robinson are elected to the Hall of Fame by the Baseball Writers Association of America in their first year of eligibility. Jackie Robinson burst onto the scene in 1947, breaking baseball's color barrier and bringing the Negro leagues' electrifying style of play to the Majors. He quickly became baseball's top drawing card and a […]
- RIP Hank Aaron - Vin Scully calls #715On January 22 2021 At age 86 Hank Aaron passes away. Aaron is one of the most respected players in baseball history and on April 8 1974 he broke Babe ruth's home record. Here is the call by Vin Scully.
- New York Mets Clinch the Division TitleIn the inaugural season of divisional play, the Mets clinch the first-ever National League East title. Gary Gentry fires a four-hitter, blanking the Cardinals, 6-0, in front of a frenzied Shea Stadium crowd, which spills onto the field en masse after the game to celebrate their team's amazing accomplishment. More information about todays events, players, […]
- 1937 All Star Game Dizzy Dean takes one on the toeMore information about todays events, players, ball park, date and season - (www.thisdayinbaseball.com) Join our Baseball Community – Join a community of baseball fans just like you - https://thisdayinbaseball.com/join-the community Hosted by This Day In Baseball – Learn more about the hosts of todays show https://thisdayinbaseball.com/about-us/ Support this Show – Post or […]
- Sonny Siebert fires no hitter June 10 1966 Full Radio BroadcastOn June 10, 1966 At Cleveland Stadium Sonny Siebert pitches a no-hitter against the Washington Senators and Leon Wagner homers off loser Phil Ortega as first-place Cleveland wins, 2 – 0. The right-hander strikes out seven batters, walking only one, in his Cleveland Stadium gem. It will be the only No Hitter of the season. More information about todays events, players, ball park, date and […]
- Vin Scully on the Call May 14 1957 Dodgers vs BravesMore information about todays events, players, ball park, date and season - www.thisdayinbaseball.com Join our Baseball Community – Join a community of baseball fans just like you - https://thisdayinbaseball.com/join-the community Hosted by This Day In Baseball – Learn more about the hosts of todays show https://thisdayinbaseball.com/about-us/ Support this Show – Post or […]
- Willie Mays Makes The Catch Game 1 1954 World SeriesMore information about todays events, players, ball park, date and season - (www.thisdayinbaseball.com) Join our Baseball Community – Join a community of baseball fans just like you - https://thisdayinbaseball.com/join-the community Hosted by This Day In Baseball – Learn more about the hosts of t More information about todays events, players, ball park, date […]
- Lefty Gomez pitches the Yankess to the 1936 World TitleOctober 6, 1936 Yankees at Giants World Series Game 6 The Giants loaded the bases in the first off Lefty Gomez on a single and two walks before Mel Ott drove in two with a double, but Jake Powell's home-run after a two-out triple off Freddie Fitzsimmons tied the game in the second. Next inning, […]
- Vida Blue on the CBS Evening News June 26 1971 January 24, 2021
- Jackie Robinson is elected to the Hall of Fame January 24, 2021
- RIP Hank Aaron - Vin Scully calls #715 January 22, 2021
- New York Mets Clinch the Division Title January 19, 2021
- Waite Hoyt on Babe Ruth January 17, 2021
- Ted Williams homers off Jack Fisher @ Fenway in his last at bat January 17, 2021
- Joe DiMaggio makes the defensive play of the game 1937 All Star Game January 17, 2021
- Ernie Banks hits 500th Homerun January 17, 2021
- Lou Gehrig Takes Dizzy Dean Deep 1937 All Star Game January 17, 2021
- Fernandomania - Catch it January 17, 2021
active 34 minutes ago
active 14 hours, 29 minutes ago
active 1 week, 5 days ago
active 1 month, 1 week ago
active 1 month, 2 weeks ago
Top Posts & Pages
- New York Yankees catcher Thurman Munson is named American League Rookie of the Year
- The Cubs fire their ball girl, Marla Collins, when it is revealed that she posed nude for Playboy magazine
- This Day In Baseball November
- St. Louis Cardinals ace Bob Gibson suffers a broken leg
- Boston Red Sox center fielder Fred Lynn becomes the first rookie ever to be named American League Most Valuable Player
- This Day In Baseball November 26
- Steve Garvey and Don Sutton fight at Shea before a 5-4 Dodger victory
- The Boston Red Sox hire 28-year-old Theo Epstein as their new general manager
- New York Giants debut new purple plaid uniforms
- Yankees hold Joe DiMaggio Day at Yankee Stadium