On July 29, 1978 — The Yankee Stadium crowd is pleasantly surprised as recently resigned manager Billy Martin returns to join in on the Old Timers’ Day festivities. Much to their delight, the fans respond with a seven-minute standing ovation when informed ‘Billy the Kid’ will return as the team’s skipper in 1980.
At Milwaukee, the Reds’ Joey Jay beats his old team, 1 – 0, for his 20th victory of the year. He’s the Reds’ first 20-game winner since Ewell Blackwell in 1947.
September 12, 1961
The BBWAA selects Justin Verlander (24-5, 2.40) as the unanimous winner of the American League Cy Young award. The 28 year-old Tiger right-hander, who captured the circuit’s pitching triple crown, leading the AL in victories, earned run average, and strikeouts, easily outdistance runners-up that include L.A.’s Jered Weaver, Tampa Bay’s James Shields, and New York’s CC Sabathia.
November 15, 2011
The Brewers sign pitcher Yovani Gallardo to a five-year contract extension worth $30.1 million. The 24-year-old was the Brewers’ best pitcher in 2009, going 13-12, 3.73 and topping 200 strikeouts, as well as being their opening day starter this year.
April 8, 2010
SEARCH Games, Players, Dates
Join the community
- The 50 Greatest Players in Pittsburgh Pirates History $30.00
- 1984 Detroit Tiger Bless You Boys Poster $11.50 – $29.00
- 1984 Bless You Boys Detroit Tigers World Championship $31.50 – $39.00
- 1979 Pittsburgh Pirates we are family Championship remembered $31.50 – $39.00
- What Shift? hit 'em where they ain't $13.50 – $19.00
- Ump's getting even $21.50 – $29.00