On August 7, 2000 — The Yankees claim Jose Canseco off waivers from the Devil Rays. The 35 year-old slugger will appear in just 37 games for the Bronx Bombers, primarily as a designated hitter, hitting .247 in 111 at bats.
At Baylor University Medical Center in Dallas, baseball legend Mickey Mantle, 63, succumbs to liver cancer with his estranged wife Merlyn at his side. Ironically, prior to a moving tribute in the Bronx ballpark for the fallen hero, the Yankee Stadium scoreboard displays “At Bat: 7” until the start of the game, because the leadoff batter for the Indians, Kenny Lofton, wears number 7.
August 13, 1995
Dan McClellan of the Cuban X-Giants spins the first perfect game in black baseball history, blanking the Penn Park Athletic Club of York, PA, 5 – 0.
July 17, 1903
Cardinal first baseman Matt Carpenter ties an 81 year-old franchise mark when he strokes four doubles in the team’s 12-3 rout of the Rockies at Coors Field. Joe Medwick established the record, hiting four two-baggers against the Boston Bees in on August 4, 1937.
August 26, 2018
SEARCH Games, Players, Dates
Join the community
- Pirates By the Numbers: A Complete Team History of the Bucs By Uniform Number $14.99
- 1984 Detroit Tiger Bless You Boys Poster $11.50 – $29.00
- Oakland Alameda Stadium 1968 Baseball Tee Shirt - Home of Your Oakland A's $18.00
- Dodger Stadium 1962 Baseball Sweatshirt Crewneck or Hoodie - Home Of Your Los Angeles Dodgers $30.00
- Metropolitan Stadium 1961 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your Minnesota Twins $18.00
- Shibe Park 1909 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of the Philadelphia A's $18.00