On August 5, 2001 — Trailing the Mariners, 14 – 2, the Indians, score 12 times beginning in the 7th inning to tie the score. Cleveland will win the game in the 11th inning, 15 – 14 making it the third time (after the 1911 Tigers and 1925 A’s) a team has won after being behind by 12 runs.
In his major league debut, right-hander Jon Rauch of the White Sox pitches a perfect 1.1 innings in a 7-4 loss to the Mariners at Safeco Field. The 6′-11″ Louisville, Kentucky native, who was a member of the 2000 U.S. Olympic team, becomes the tallest pitcher to appear in a big league game.
April 2, 2002
Despite growing pressure to expand, major league owners, at a meeting at John Galbreath’s farm in Ohio, decline the option to add new teams to the existing American and National Leagues. Given there are no plans for expansion, Commissioner Ford Frick will announce at a later date that Major League Baseball will “favorably consider an application for major league status within the present baseball structure by an acceptable group of eight clubs which would qualify under ten specifications.”
May 21, 1959
Cardinal Mark McGwire becomes the first major leaguer to hit 20 home runs for two different teams in the same season. ‘Big Mac’ had hit 34 with the A’s before being traded to St. Louis.
September 20, 1997
In a shocking announcement, Houston Astros owner John McMullen fires President and General Manager Tal Smith, replacing him with Al Rosen, former GM of the Yankees. Smith will soon be named Major League Executive of the Year. The move prompts a rebellion among the Astros’ 20 limited owners (who together own over 60 percent of the club), and on November 24th, McMullen will give up his sole authority to run the club, accepting a position on the club’s newly-formed executive committee instead.
October 27, 1980
SEARCH Games, Players, Dates
Join the community
- Metropolitan Stadium 1961 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your Minnesota Twins $18.00
- Baker Bowl 1887 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your Philadelphia Phillies $18.00
- San Diego Stadium 1969 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your San Diego Padres $18.00
- Ump's getting even $21.50 – $29.00
- Three Rivers Stadium 1971 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your Pittsburgh Pirates $18.00
- Memorial Stadium "Legacy" 1954 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your Baltimore Orioles $18.00